IMPLICIT QUESTIONS [ INDIRECT QUESTIONS ]


DIRECT QUESTIONS

Do you like Brazilian funk?
What are we studying?
Where are the examples?

QUESTION STRUCTURE:  subject and verb in inverted order.

INDIRECT QUESTIONS
(or CHECKING QUESTIONS)

DID YOU TELL ME
you like Brazilian funk?
DID I TELL YOU what we are studying?
CAN YOU TELL ME what we are studying?
COULD YOU tell me_________________ ?
Have you got any idea_________________?
Have I told you_________________?
Do you remember_________________?
etc...

NOT QUESTION STRUCTURE:  subject and verb are not in inverted order.

It's NOT A QUESTION STRUCTURE because
it's like checking:

I'll check WHAT WE ARE STUDYING  not inverted  )
I'll check WHERE THE EXAMPLES ARE...
I'll check if YOU LIKE funk...

The questions are there,
but they are IMPLICIT QUESTIONS,
in  INDIRECT QUESTIONS,
in the second part of the real question:


__________________________________________________________________
Now, take a look at the questions below and find out
WHICH ONE IS NOT AN IMPLICIT QUESTION:


a) Do you remember where Disneyland is?  

b) Did I tell you where the keys are? 

c) Have you got any idea how expensive caviar is? 

d) Did you know that I'm reading that book?
__________________________________________________________________.

.

.
.

Well, let's go to the answer:


a) Do you remember where Disneyland is?   implicit question
because THE QUESTION IS:
WHERE IS IT?
(Disneyland)
and you transformed it into an statement [IT IS]
"...where Disnayland is"  =  [ where it is ]

b)
Did I tell you
 where the keys are
implicit question
 THE QUESTION IS: WHERE ARE THEY (the keys)

c) Have you got any idea how expensive caviar is?  implicit question
 THE QUESTION IS:  HOW EXPENSIVE IS IT? (caviar)

d) Did you know that I'm reading that book? not an implicit question

because THE QUESTION WOULD BE: AM I READING IT? (the book)
and you are not asking that, you are telling it...
SO, YOU DON'T HAVE A QUESTION THERE...
the question in this case would be: DID YOU KNOW IT? (the fact I told)?

So,
in cases A, B and C you have an implicit question in the second part:
a) Do you remember where Disneyland is?
b) Did I tell you where the keys are?
c) Have you got any idea how expensive caviar is?

in case D you don't have a question in the second part:
d) Did you know that I'm reading that book?
This is a checking question, but not indirect or implicit...


We are practicing here,
how to have this IMPLICIT QUESTION
in the second part of the real question...

=)

__________________________________________________________________
EXERCISE                                                                                      
Look at these questions here below.

Are you studying?
Do you like studying?

Where do you study
?
Where is your English book?


Why can't you cook today?
Why should I believe you?

How was the party yesterday?
How did you get there?

Can you transform them in INDIRECT QUESTIONS?
Remember you should use the INDIRECT QUESTIONS beginings...

Did I tell you_________________ ?
Did you tell me
_________________?

Can you tell me_________________?
Have you got any idea_________________?
Have I told you_________________?
Do you remember_________________?
__________________________________________________________________.